Friday, August 1, 2008

Budget Buster!

My husband told me that our grocery budget went WAY over last month. Of course he asked me what did I spend that money on...and I had no answer. So I've decided to slim down our budget overage and see where my grocery money is going. I also need to figure out how much we're spending on meals and if that can also be trimmed.

For the month of August, I will detail my grocery purchases and the meals I plan to make with them. My grocery budget is $400 for the month. It's just my husband and myself and our 10 month old twins. They don't eat as much as we do, but formula and diapers gets added in to that grocery budget too. Jeez!

On July 24th, I bought 6 cans of formula (25.7oz. each) for $132.54 = $22.09 per can. I also bought a 30oz. can of formula for $21.59. I have already used the 30oz. can and have opened one of the 25.7oz. cans. I also bought 204 diapers for $32.97 ($0.16/diaper) and 616 wipes for $13.01 ($0.02/wipe). I haven't opened these boxes yet, so I don't know if I will get through August without buying more.

Today I went to Safeway and spent $12.98. I bought:

  • 2 gallons milk $5.49
  • Jif peanut butter $3.99 (for all those pb&j's we'll soon be eating)
  • Ritz crackers $3.50

I'm having some family for dinner Sunday and I'm making Poppy Seed Chicken. I had everything but the Ritz crackers. Tonight we are having leftovers (I made individual meatloaves last night and eggrolls w/fried rice the night before). Saturday night I was thinking about grilling some halibut steaks I bought at Trader Joe's.

Friday's dinner: $0

I'll post totals for Saturday and Sunday's dinners as well as the menu for the new week on Monday. Submit your dinner plans (along with prices) and help us all figure out how to save a little money in the grocery aisles!

0 comments: