Friday, October 24, 2008

75th Birthday on a Slim Budget

My grandmother's friend is turning 75 and her daughter wanted to throw a surprise party for her, but doesn't have a huge budget to do it. Grandmother asked me if I had any ideas. Since I love throwing parties, I gave her a few ideas of what I thought would work best for this situation.
1. A picnic is a great idea for larger groups. Go to a nice park that has tables and benches, easy access, etc. (Remember this is a "mature" group.) To make it festive, make the lunches yourself (or buy the pieces) and assemble it into a cute little individual takeout boxes.


(via Oh Happy Day)



2. Hold a potluck at someone's home. Ask guests to bring a dish that reminds them of the birthday girl (one of her favorites, something that she always makes, a dish from a treasured trip, etc.). It will be cozy and an atmosphere that inspires reminiscing.

3. My favorite idea is the one I saw on frolic: the Pie Party! I think this would be so cute for the season and this group. Invite each guest to bring a pie (it can be a tart or a quiche, too). Set out the pies on a long buffet table. The hostess provides ice cream and whipped cream for all these delicious desserts. Invitations should be made to look like recipe cards. Decorations are inspired by the season: apples, pumpkins, squash, fall leaves and branches, etc. Cheery red checked table cloths would be adorable. Take a look at the design board provided by snippet & ink.



When working in a small budget, it's important to focus more on bringing everyone together than making a big show, if you know what I mean. These ideas can help do that.

1 comments:

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

Great ideas! I love throwing frugal parties myself - my mom thinks it's funny that I enjoy planning so much. :)