Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tight Times

Husband and I had a conversation last night that is making me think...and think and think. It wasn't an argument at all, rather a "meeting of the minds". I came in with a picture of a beautiful headboard I had found online at Pottery Barn that was on sale for $299. I have been desperately wanting a headboard for awhile now and this seemed like a great opportunity. He expressed concern that there were other things that we needed (like a new, properly working car for him) on which the money would be better spent. I told him I agreed, but also wanted a bedroom that felt like I had taken some time to put the elements together (and for goodness sakes, get rid of his Rubbermaid "dresser" in the corner!).

We've been talking a lot recently about ways that we can cut back and we have decided to let those thoughts simmer until we have a "board meeting" in January. Husband gets his raise then and it will be time to revamp the current budget as well as a time to more fully implement our money saving strategies.

In the meantime, I've been looking for things that I can do right now to ease the strain. I was happy to see this post over on Money Saving Mom by guest blogger Jennifer Duenes from Life From the Roof (who is also in the Bay Area). What I took away from her post was to be content with what you have and not get new things just to "have" them.

So I have decided to try to spruce up our bedroom without buying the $300 headboard and make the best of what we've got. I'm going to make a design plan for the bedroom from start to finish so that I can add things along the way instead of making a large purchase all at once. I'll update my progress as I go and maybe you can help out with some tips of your own.

0 comments: